Tracing the names of the owners and occupiers of the larger houses of Killiney and Ballybrack is greatly helped by the listings provided in Thom’s and other Directories. However it is not always a simple task.
The arrival of the Railway in Killiney in 1854 greatly improved travel time to the city, reducing it to about 25 minutes. This heralded an explosion of residential and commercial development in the area and led to significant changes in the road layouts.
We are fortunate to have been given a copy of an unpublished history of Killiney called “Killiney Surroundings”. This work consists of a collection of essays and notes compiled over a period of forty years by the bookseller William Fernsley Figgis, a native of Killiney.