Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Killiney History | October 3, 2022

Scroll to top

Top

Killiney Hill Road

Abbey Lea previously Marino

1 October 2022 |

Abbey Lea has been the residence of the Australian Ambassador to Ireland since 1965 – more than half its life.  Formerly known as Marino, the house was rebuilt and remodelled following a fire in 1909.Read More

Villa Maria

16 February 2022 |

The render atmosphere – all Wrightian vertical setsquare lines and yellow grass and exotic plants – feels light and airy. Optimistic. American. The crisp geometric angles of the form are reminiscent of Frank LLoyd Wright’s Californian Mayan works, but floating.Read More

Gone but not forgotten (Part 1)

29 October 2021 |

This is the first of a number of articles which we plan to publish over the next few months recording the houses and other buildings which are no longer with us but which formed part of the vanishing fabric of Killiney. Read More

Merton Lodge (now Ballycarbery)

3 August 2021 |

Earliest map 1837 Fair Plan of 1837 showing Killiney Lodge (Merton Lodge) Published map of 1843 showing Killiney Lodge (Merton Lodge). Glenfield was later demolished to make way for The Grove which was built c. 1852 Court case of 1837 … Read More

The Grove

3 August 2021 |

The house and offices on this holding are in good repair, and command an extensive view of Dublin Bay, and are admirably adapted as a summer residence, and produce, when let furnished, the yearly rent of £150. There is a constant supply of fresh water on the premises.Read More

Buona Vista & Bella Vista

28 July 2021 |

This semi-detached pair of Victorian houses no longer exist although the site is well known to locals who have had to endure the sight of the partially constructed modern house which has being lying derelict for over a decade.

Read More

Padua (previously Desmond)

20 July 2021 |

As one of the earliest recorded houses in Killiney from available mapping we have been able to trace the development of Desmond over the years. The first map showing the house is dated 1837 and shows a simple rectangular shaped dwelling with a projecting central bay to the rear of the main house facing the stable yard.Read More

Illerton

20 July 2021 |

The elevations and chimneys have a liberal sprinkling of Jacobethan ornament. The porch is probably original, though it looks like an addition. The kitchen and servants’ quarters are separately articulated under a straightforward, and relatively low, hipped roof,Read More

The Killiney Houses of Deane & Woodward Architects

9 July 2021 |

The only reference to Deane and Woodward’s domestic works to be published in the columns of The Dublin Builder appeared in the issue of 15 February 1861. In a piece on house building in Ballybrack, County Dublin, the writer referred in passing to six new dwelling houses being built to their designs, including one for Joseph Robinson, ‘the eminent opera singer’. Read More