Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Killiney History | December 10, 2022

Scroll to top

Top

The Houses

Villa Maria

16 February 2022 |

The render atmosphere – all Wrightian vertical setsquare lines and yellow grass and exotic plants – feels light and airy. Optimistic. American. The crisp geometric angles of the form are reminiscent of Frank LLoyd Wright’s Californian Mayan works, but floating.Read More

Bayview-Killiney Stores

31 January 2022 |

From 1900 to 1921 Bay View was the location of the Killiney Telephone Exchange when it was engulfed in fire and destroyed during an incident which occurred during The War of IndependenceRead More

Mount Mapas

27 January 2022 |

Mount Mapas was the first house to be built on Victoria Road and the southern end of the Vico Road. Read More

Kilda Lodge

26 January 2022 |

Mia Cranwill was an Irish designer and metal artist, and was one of the leading artists of the Irish Celtic Revival. She lived in the lodge which she called Drum-Goibhneann in the 1920’s to 1930’s.Read More

Clonard

24 December 2021 |

This large Victorian house which was built on a substantial site off Killiney Avenue falls largely within the description of a particular style of house being erected in Killiney in the mid to late nineteenth century. Read More

The Whins

20 December 2021 |

This house, now called The Rocks, at the end of Glenalua Road has gone through many name changes. When first built in 1912 for J.M. Mitchell, it’s architect owner, it was appropriately named The Whins given its siting on a … Read More

Gone but not forgotten (Part 1)

29 October 2021 |

This is the first of a number of articles which we plan to publish over the next few months recording the houses and other buildings which are no longer with us but which formed part of the vanishing fabric of Killiney. Read More

Glenalua Terrace

9 October 2021 |

The set-piece design of the terrace is symmetrical in layout with the central single storey houses book-ended by the two storey gables of houses 1 and 6. The design is unusual in that access is provided via a raised pedestrian walkway which was determined by the sloping nature of the site and the underlying rock upon which it is built. Read More

Merton Lodge (now Ballycarbery)

3 August 2021 |

Earliest map 1837 Fair Plan of 1837 showing Killiney Lodge (Merton Lodge) Published map of 1843 showing Killiney Lodge (Merton Lodge). Glenfield was later demolished to make way for The Grove which was built c. 1852 Court case of 1837 … Read More