Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Killiney History | April 17, 2024

Scroll to top

Top

Places

Druid’s Chair Public House

1 December 2022 |

One of the earliest mentions of commercial activity in Killiney Village mentions a public house owned by a Thomas Mooney. We believe this premises was located on the site now occupied by The Druid’s Chair PubRead More

The Merchants, Traders and Inn-Keepers of Killiney Village in bygone times.

16 November 2022 |

On 22nd November Michael McShane gave a presentation on ‘The Merchants, Traders and Inn-Keepers of Killiney Village in bygone times’. This presentation was hosted by Killiney Village Residents Association and … Read More

Abbey Lea, previously Marino

1 October 2022 |

Abbey Lea has been the residence of the Australian Ambassador to Ireland since 1965 – more than half its life.  Formerly known as Marino, the house was rebuilt and remodelled following a fire in 1909.Read More

Civil War attacks in Killiney 1922 by Hugh Comerford

31 August 2022 |

As the attacks on the postal, telephone, rail and roads systems increased, the Free State government decided to establish a post or barracks in the Killiney area using the house known as Glenalua House (now Mount Prospect) in the village of Killiney.Read More

Killiney Strand

30 June 2022 |

This article pulls together a wealth of information, gathered from a variety of sources, which are all related to the history of Killiney Strand.Read More

Mr. Farrell’s Yard and Forge, Killiney

9 June 2022 |

A newspaper auction notice, dated 15th August 1873, brought our attention to the existence of a Forge run by a Mr. Farrell in Killiney. No address was provided but further investigation confirmed the location at a property called Mountain View on Killiney RoadRead More

Martello Tower Number Seven

1 June 2022 |

This post is dedicated to the memory of Niall O’Donoghue who painstakingly restored the tower to it’s former glory. Niall sadly passed away on the 8th of May 2022.Read More

Ashurst

5 May 2022 |

The site upon which Ashurst stands was originally in the ownership of Thomas Oxley. He was recorded as residing in the now demolished Martello Lodge/House until 1852.Read More

Talbot Cottages

1 May 2022 |

In 1912 the demolition of 9 sub-standard cottages on Talbot Road paved the way for the construction of Nos.1-5 Talbot CottagesRead More