Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Killiney History | June 13, 2021

Scroll to top

Top

The Workingmen of Killiney-petition for the release of Frank DuBédat, 1896

1 June 2021 |

In 1896 a petition from the workingmen of Killiney village was submitted to The Right Honourable John Morley of Mount Eagle, Killiney requesting him to use his influence with the Government to bring about the release of Francis Edward DuBédat from prison.Read More

Torching of Ballybrack RIC Barracks May 1920

27 April 2021 |

The destruction of the Ballybrack Barrack was carried out in a cool and daring manner. Over a year ago the police were withdrawn from the barrack and transferred to Cabinteely but Mrs Hurst, the wife of Sergeant Hurst, and four of her family resided in the house.Read More

Glenalua House

11 April 2021 |

Now known as Mount Prospect this house dates from 1843 according to the Memoriam to Washington Matthews below. The plot appears as open ground on the 1837 Ordnance Survey map. However, the name/date plaque on the front of the house … Read More

Reenavanna

10 April 2021 |

Reenavanna and it’s neighbour, Carraig Donn, were designed by the renowned architect Michael Scott for Col. B. J. Fagan and his family. The two houses were designed in the International Style of the Modern Movement and feature many of the … Read More

Opening Vico Road

2 April 2021 |

Public access to Killiney Hill Park and the Vico Road which we now take for granted is only a relatively recent development. The troubled history of the various attempts of Dalkey Town Commissioners and others to have the route opened … Read More

Glenalua Lodge

18 March 2021 |

The earliest reference to this property appears on the 1843 Ordnance Survey map where the house is called Derrynane Lodge. The exact date of the erection of the house is unknown but it was one of the first significant residences to be built on Glenalua RoadRead More