Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Killiney History | October 3, 2022

Scroll to top

Top

Posts By author

Rochestown House

8 January 2021 |

Rochestown House, had it survived, would almost certainly have had the distinction of being the oldest house in Killiney. It stood almost exactly on the path of Avondale Road, not far from the present Killiney shopping centre,Read More

Beechwood House

8 January 2021 |

Beechwood House, which had been built by 1787, stood on a narrow site at the bottom of Ballinclea Road. A five-windowed, two-storey-over-basement house, it appears to have been remodelled in Victorian timesRead More

Stoneleigh

8 January 2021 |

There is an enclosed yard, with coal houses, fuel rooms, and closets. The out-offices, erected on the most modern principle, contain an aviary, stabling for eight horsesRead More

Ballinclea House

7 January 2021 |

Ballinclea House stood between Bellevue Park and Roche’s Hill on the east side of Ballinclea Road, but was demolished during the 1950s. It was an attractive late-Georgian house, built about 1800, with double bows.Read More

Bellevue Park

7 January 2021 |

On the west side of Killiney, looking back over Dublin Bay, is Bellevue Park, now occupied by the St Joseph of Cluny convent and school. Bellevue once controlled a large estate which extended as far as GlenagearyRead More

Plasnewyd or Rock Lodge

2 January 2021 |

Now demolished, this significant 18th Century house, had a Welsh name (Plas Newydd) which translates to ‘posh new house’ and was a popular name for houses of that period in Wales. The extensive grounds contained a pleasure lake and walled … Read More

Killiney Hill Cottages

2 January 2021 |

Attributed to the eminent Victorian architect, Sir Thomas Deane, this set piece terrace of redbrick cottages was built for the labourers and families who worked on the adjoining Warren estate.Read More

Druid’s Chair

31 December 2020 |

We reproduce below Peter Pearson’s description of the Druid’s Chair from his book ‘Between the Mountains and the Sea’ 1998 p.56

Location of Druid’s Chair from 1888 Ordnance Survey map. Note the names of adjoining houses.

The Druid’s Chair, which, … Read More

Eagle Rock

31 December 2020 |

He says that the “Eagle ” was fashioned out of a piece of granite by two brothers, Joe and Tom Cooper, stonemasons, who lived in a lodge at the back of “St. Germains,”Read More