Posts By author
Joseph Robinson’s Green Hill is a cross between Undercliffe and Fernside in that it has a turret and a projecting bow. The turret is placed in the angle of the drawing-room wall. One of the chimneystacks is placed at a 45 degree angle as at St Austin’s Abbey, while the entrance has a Gothic arch
Robert Exham’s own Fernside was not begun until early in 1861. The Dublin Builder article indicated that the foundations had been laid out by 15 February. However, arrangements were clearly being made before Woodward’s final departure for the continent in mid-December 1860.
In 1896 a petition from the workingmen of Killiney village was submitted to The Right Honourable John Morley of Mount Eagle, Killiney requesting him to use his influence with the Government to bring about the release of Francis Edward DuBédat from prison.
The destruction of the Ballybrack Barrack was carried out in a cool and daring manner. Over a year ago the police were withdrawn from the barrack and transferred to Cabinteely but Mrs Hurst, the wife of Sergeant Hurst, and four of her family resided in the house.
In 1740 Colonel John Malpas built a house called Mount Malpas, now Killiney Castle, as a speculative development. Malpas must have let the castle in its early years, for in 1752 Falkiner’s Dublin Journal carried the following advertisement: