Plasnewyd or Rock Lodge
|Previous Names||Rock Lodge|
|On 1888 map||Yes|
Now demolished, this significant 18th Century house, had a Welsh name (Plas Newydd) which translates to ‘posh new house’ and was a popular name for houses of that period in Wales. The extensive grounds contained a pleasure lake and walled orchard which can be seen in the 1888 map below.
The Architectural Conservation Area report of 2016 by Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council mentions the property:
Unfortunately, a further 18th century dwelling of some significance, Plasnewyd, has been demolished to facilitate a modern housing development. Some elements of the garden enclosures of this house remain, in particular the walled orchard. These elements contribute to the historic landscape to a sufficient extent that warrants a degree of protection and inclusion in the ACA.
The original coach house still remains on the site and a new house which replaced the original structure was built in 1976.
A Killiney schoolboy remembers
Memoirs of Arthur Haughton who was born in 1903
In the Preachers’ Book there is a column for comments. In the early 1920s this space was often filled by remarks about the extremely bad weather conditions. Arthur, when asked if he remembered anything in particular, said they used to get very harsh, black ice, which was particularly noticeable on Darcus’ Lake in the grounds of Rock Lodge, then called Plas Newydd.
Josephine McKeever Close 1888-1972
Daughter of Mary Maxwell formerly McKeever, of Killiney, Co. Dublin. Her mother was the postmistress in Killiney, and following the death of her first husband, she married William Maxwell, an Apothecary. In the 1901 census, she had 7 children – all McKeevers living with her. Wife of Lieutenant Henry Burke Close (The Royal Dublin Fusiliers. 7th Battalion, attached to 3rd & 4th (Reserve) Battalion. Secondary Regiment, Royal Field Artillery 129th Battery, 30th Brigade), of “Plas Newydd”, Killiney, Co. Dublin, whom she married in Ballybrack Church [RC] Co. Dublin, on 29 August 1915. Henry Joseph Burke, son of Henry Peter Close and Hanna Mary Frances Hynes, of 5 Leinster Road West, Harold’s Cross, Dublin, was born on 18 May 1883, and was baptised at Rathmines Church [RC], Dublin, on 27 May 1883. His god-parents were Allan Parker Close and Josephine Mary Hynes. His father Henry Peter Close died in 1900, aged 57. in the 1911 census, he was recorded as living with his widowed mother, Frances Close, at Vico Road, Dalkey, Co. Dublin. They had 2 children, Carmel and Hilda. Her younger brother Captain Louis Lawrence McKeever M.C. also died in World War 1. Her grandchildren, who are also buried here (Glasnevin Cemetery), are:
Records from Thom’s directory
1850 The Hon. Mrs. Kaye
1860 No Reference
1870 Rev. C. McCarthy
1880 M. Charles C. Burke
1888-92 Mrs. Eccles
1900 H.S. Damn
1910 H.S. Darcus
1912-30 Mrs. Maxwell
1940 Captain T.B.L. Disney, M.C. (Renamed Rock Lodge)
1943 Captain T.B.L. Disney, M.C.
1950 Michael Fitzgerald.