Lewis’s Topographical Dictionary 1837
In 1837 Samuel Lewis, who ran a publishing business in London, produced his monumental two-volumed topographical dictionary of Ireland. This dictionary was accompanied by an atlas of the counties of Ireland. The 2nd edition appeared in 1842. Production of this vast body of work commenced in 1833 when agents were dispatched to cover the entire country. The principal sources of information were local landowners and clergy. The information was presented mainly by parish and the area of interest covered in KILLINEYHISTORY.IE appear in the adjoining parishes of Kill and Killiney. The records from the first edition are transcribed below.
Parish of Killiney
KILLINEY, a parish, in the half-barony of RATHDOWN, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 2 1/2 miles (S. by E.) from Kingstown, on the road from Dublin to Bray; containing 495 inhabitants. This parish comprises 1269 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3118 per annum. The hills of Killiney command magnificent views of Howth, Kingstown, and Dublin bay; the groves of Merrion and Mount Anville, with part of Dublin, the Phoenix Park, and the river Liffey, Killiney bay, Bray Head, and the two Sugar-Loaf mountains. They are visited by many parties of pleasure in summer; at which season Killiney and its vicinity are favourite places of residence, and several pretty villas and rustic cottages have been erected for such as may take up their abode here. There are three hills, called “the Three Sisters,”in one of which was procured the stone for constructing Kingstown harbour : the second is of considerable elevation; the village of Killiney, which is in the parish of Kill, occupies the south side of the third hill. The principal seats are:
- Loftus Hill, formerly belonging to Mr. Henry, which is beautifully situated to the north of the Killiney hills ;
- Laughlinstown House, the residence of the Hon. Judge Day ;
- Ballinclea, of the Hon. Mrs. Mellefont ;
- Killiney Park, of Sir N. W. Brady, Knt. ;
- Saintbury, of Capt. Stritch ;
- Kilmarnock, of Lieut. Baker, R. N. ;
- Ballybrack Grove, of Japhet Alley, Esq. ;
- Killiney House, of Capt. Gaynor;
- Marino, of Mrs. King ;
- Martello Farm, of T. Oxley, Esq. ; and
- Drum Cottage, of Mrs. Patten
It is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Dublin, forming part of the union of Monkstown; the rectory forms part of the corps of the deanery of Christ Church, Dublin. The tithes amount to £117.0s.11d., of which £78. 0s. 7d., is payable to the dean, and £39. 0s. 4d,to the incumbent of Monkstown. By a public act passed in the 9th of Geo. IV. it was enacted that a church, or chapel of ease to Monkstown should be erected at Killiney, and endowed with houses and land in the village of Dalkey, which were taken from the deanery. For some years divine service was performed by the Rev. Chas. Sleater, the first chaplain (who was appointed by the incumbent of Monkstown) in a private house, but in 1834 a chapel of ease was erected on a site given by Sir Compton Domville, Bart., who also gave a portion of glebe. It is in the later English style, and is built of the white granite that is found in great abundance on the spot; at the west end is an embattled tower with pinnacles. In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Kingstown. In the village is a public school, in which about 60 children are educated, and a school-house was erected in 1834, in connection with the church. A dispensary in the village is maintained in the customary manner.Near Killiney bay are two Martello towers and two batteries. The picturesque ruins of the old church, covered with ivy, are on the shore. In Killiney Park and the grounds of Druid Cottage are some interesting druidical remains. Stone coffins and urns of baked clay were found in the grounds of Killiney House, about the year 1784 ; and ancient coins, ornaments and military weapons have been frequently found here. Near Dorset Lodge is a pyramidical monument of granite, erected to mark the spot where the fourth Duke of Dorset lost his life accidentally, while hunting, in 1815.
Parish of Kill
KILL, or KILL of the GRANGE, a parish, in the half-barony of RATHDOWN, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S. E,) from Dublin, on the road to Bray; containing 1305 inhabitants. This parish comprises 1551 statute acres, besides 257 at the Kill of the Grange of Clonkeen. Much of the land is in pasture, and the system of agriculture is improving. The mountain and sea views are very fine, and there are many seats, the chief of which are Newtown Park House, the residence of H. S. Close, Esq.; Belville, of Lieut.-Col. Cash; Killiney Castle, of P. Warren, Esq.; Carriglea, of the Rev. T. Goff; Stoneville, of Lieut.- Col. Pratt; Somerton, of S. Foote, Esq.; Newpark, of Willoughby Carter, Esq.; Ferney, of H. Scovell, Esq.; Newtown Park House, of R. Perry, Esq.; Barton Hall, of J. Hall, Esq.; Eversham, of W. Minchin, Esq.; Abiline and Naesgwydd, of T. Dixon, Esq.; Bellosguardo, of R. Powell, Esq.; Hollyville, of J. B. Stopford, Esq.; Stillorgan glebe, of the Rev. R. Greene; Newtown Park Cottage, of C. Doyne, Esq.; Anglesea, of C. Carleton, Esq.; Johnstown, of Capt. Whyte, R.N.; Woodpark, of D. Corneille, Esq.; Flower Grove, of the Rt. Hon. and Rev. Viscount Mountmorres; Rochestown House, of J. Morgan, Esq.; Springfield, of P. Plunkett, Esq.; Granite Field, of Mrs. Spears; Rochestown Avenue, of B. Molloy, Esq.; Woodpark, of J. J. Kirk, Esq.; Rockland, of P. Lynch, Esq.; Rosey Park, of R.Brown, Esq.; Ashgrove, of J. Murphy, Esq.; Birch Grove, of G. Williamson, Esq.; and Kill Abbey, of R. Espinasse, Esq. This last seat was the country residence of the deans of Christ-Church, Dublin, and is part of the estate of Kill of the Grange of Clonkeen, but has been held by lease for above 120 years by the Espinasse family. The parish is in the diocese of Dublin, and is a curacy, forming part of the union of Monkstown; the rectory is part of the corps of the deanery of Christ-Church, Dublin. The tithes amount to £171. 15. 3., of which two-thirds are payable to the dean and one-third to the curate, who also receives £42. 2. 6. as the tithes of Kill of the Grange of Clonkeen. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kingstown and Cabinteely. There is a parochial school near Cornel’s Court; and C. Doyne, Esq., has erected and supports an infants’ school near his seat. The greater part of the village of Newtown Park is in this parish, as is also the village of Killiney, which is delightfully situated. Near it, on the summit of one of the Killiney hills, is an obelisk, commanding extremely beautiful views: it was erected by John Malpas, Esq., in 1742, principally to employ the neighbouring poor in a season of distress. Near Kill Abbey are the ruins of the old church, in many places covered with ivy; in the cemetery are the remains of an ancient cross, and there are remains of another at the entrance of the road leading to the church. In the demesne of Carriglea is an ancient rath.