Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Killiney History | September 22, 2021

Scroll to top

Top

Druid’s Chair

Druid’s Chair
NameDruid's Chair
Last Modified: 22 Jul 2021 | author

We reproduce below Peter Pearson’s description of the Druid’s Chair from his book ‘Between the Mountains and the Sea’ 1998 p.56

Location of Druid’s Chair from 1888 Ordnance Survey map. Note the names of adjoining houses.

The Druid’s Chair, which, though it looks like a prehistoric burial mound is considered by some to be a fake, is probably the oldest monument in Killiney. It was opened up during the eighteenth century when three stone cists were found there, and, in the fashion of the time, a grove of oak trees was planted. It is thought that some of the excavated stones were re-arranged to form the so-called Druid’s Chair.

Charles Vallancey Pratt, a noted antiquarian, inspected the monument in the early nineteenth century and believed it to be genuine, and so it came to be marked on the early Ordnance Survey maps as a ‘Pagan Temple’. Later historians such as William F. Wakeman, the antiquarian, condemned it as a forgery, nonetheless many houses in the immediate vicinity were taken with its romantic antiquity and were given such names as Mount Druid, Druid Hill, or Temple Hill.  


Article from The Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, Fifth Series, Vol. 6, No. 4 (Dec., 1896), p. 411

Photograph of 1896
Photo taken in December 2020