Merton Lodge (now Ballycarbery)
|Name||Merton Lodge (now Ballycarbery)|
|Previous Names||Killiney Lodge|
|Address||Killiney Hill Road|
|Year Built||c. 1829|
|On 1888 map||Yes|
Earliest map 1837
Description from ‘Illustrated Irish Incumbered Estates’ by Mary Cecelia Lyons 1993
Sale: 19th of June, 1855
No descriptive particulars of Merton Lodge were given in the rental. These two properties on the Killiney Hill Road were auctioned on behalf of Joseph Hines, a bankrupt, and his main creditor, George Clarke. They were both bought by John Fitzgerald, for £900-0-0. These two applotments remained in the hands of John Fitzgerald, and subsequently his widow, until 1926.
Occupancy of Merton Lodge from Thom’s Directory: 1861-1925
1861-1864 J. A. Huddlestone, Esq. (who moved to an adjacent property named Undercliff)
1867 William Henry, Esq. (who moved to an adjacent property named Strathmore)
1870 The Rev Robert Stavely, Incumbent of [Holy] Trinity Church, Killiney
1872-1877 Charles Dawson, Esq.
1878-1887 Mrs Battesby
1888-1889 H. Ormsby Rose, Esq.
1890-1897 P. J. Tuohy, Barrister-at-Law with the Board of Works
1898 Mrs Grey
1899-1905 Mrs Martin
1909 Miss Elizabeth Percy
1910-1913 The Misses Elizabeth and Lucy Percy
Thom’s lists this property as vacant until 1922, but the rating field-books continue to list tenants after that one year’s vacancy:
1915-1920 George S. Waterlow
1920-1924 Thomas H. Green
1925 Patrick Brady. Thom’s continues with a subtenant:
1922-1925 Mrs Anne Allardyce
Both The Grove and Merton Lodge were bought by George S. Waterlow, whose address was given as Loughgall, Co. Armagh, in 1926. Waterlow continued to lease The Grove, but demolished Merton Lodge immediately after purchase. Its land was merged with The Grove’s. The Merton Lodge applotment was partially resurrected in the late 1950’s, when Thady O’Sullivan, of the Gresham Hotel, acquired some of the land and built a bungalow on the site.
Images from The Court of the Commissioners for Sale of Incumbered Estates in Ireland, Estate of George Clarke June 1855
The map above shows the single storey house with simple projecting entrance porch to the front elevation as can be seen in the perspective view. The footprint remans the same in the 1888 map with the exception of a small extension to the Northern gable.