Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Killiney History | January 18, 2022

Scroll to top

Top

Glenalua Road

The Whins

20 December 2021 |

This house, now called The Rocks, at the end of Glenalua Road has gone through many name changes. When first built in 1912 for J.M. Mitchell, it’s architect owner, it was appropriately named The Whins given its siting on a … Read More

The Rise and Fall of Francis DuBedat

30 November 2021 |

This meticulously researched study of the Dublin Huguenot family of Du Bedat is a fascinating portrayal of the real history behind the name immortalised by George Bernard Shaw in The Doctor’s Dilemma. The name Du Bedat is frequently found in Dublin Huguenot records and several family headstones are preserved in the recently restored Huguenot Cemetery in Merrion Row, Dublin.Read More

Gone but not forgotten (Part 1)

29 October 2021 |

This is the first of a number of articles which we plan to publish over the next few months recording the houses and other buildings which are no longer with us but which formed part of the vanishing fabric of Killiney. Read More

Glenalua Terrace

9 October 2021 |

The set-piece design of the terrace is symmetrical in layout with the central single storey houses book-ended by the two storey gables of houses 1 and 6. The design is unusual in that access is provided via a raised pedestrian walkway which was determined by the sloping nature of the site and the underlying rock upon which it is built. Read More

Glenalua House

11 April 2021 |

Now known as Mount Prospect this house dates from 1843 according to the Memoriam to Washington Matthews below. The plot appears as open ground on the 1837 Ordnance Survey map. However, the name/date plaque on the front of the house … Read More

Reenavanna

10 April 2021 |

Reenavanna and it’s neighbour, Carraig Donn, were designed by the renowned architect Michael Scott for Col. B. J. Fagan and his family. The two houses were designed in the International Style of the Modern Movement and feature many of the … Read More

Glenalua Lodge

18 March 2021 |

The earliest reference to this property appears on the 1843 Ordnance Survey map where the house is called Derrynane Lodge. The exact date of the erection of the house is unknown but it was one of the first significant residences to be built on Glenalua RoadRead More

Carraig Donn

19 December 2020 |

Carraig Donn and it’s neighbour, Reenavanna, were designed by the renowned architect Michael Scott for Col. B. J. Fagan and his family. The two houses were designed in the International Style of the Modern Movement and feature many of the … Read More

Hendre

14 December 2020 |

Detail from 1888 Ordnance Survey Map Plans to extend the existing single storey house with the addition of accommodation at first floor level, 1906.

Plans were drawn up in 1906 by the architect Richard Francis Caulfield Orpen for alterations to … Read More