Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Killiney History | June 13, 2021

Scroll to top

Top

Beechwood House

Beechwood House
NameBeechwood House
AddressBallinclea Road
Year Built1787
On 1888 mapYes
Last Modified: 11 Jan 2021 | author

Described by Peter Pearson (1998)

Beechwood House, which had been built by 1787, stood on a narrow site at the bottom of Ballinclea Road. A five-windowed, two-storey-over-basement house, it appears to have been remodelled in Victorian times with the addition of mansard windows, a rendered facade and a decorative ironwork balcony. In more recent times a hotel operated here but the house was eventually demolished, though its handsome cut-stone, Georgian entrance gates still stand. The lands of Ballinclea between Killiney Hill and Rochestown were not part of the Malpas estate.


Beechwood on c. 1913 Ordnance Survey map

Records from Thom’s Directory

1850 The Hon Mrs. Kaye
1860 No Reference
1870 Jas. L. McCance
1880 Mrs. Stewart
1890 Mrs. Stewart
1892 Mrs. Stewart
1900 Wm. Gordon Cumming
1910 Mathew George Megaw
1920 Miss A.K. Fishbourne
1928 J. Matchett Watson
1930 T.F. O’Donnell
1940 T.F. O’Donnell
1943 T.F. O’Donnell
1950 Vacant.